It can be hard to stay motivated when you are trying to lose weight. This is why it’s so important to have the tools (and people in your life), that will help you reach your goal. Here’s my personal list of “must haves” for a successful fitness journey:
- A Plan – What are your goals? Are you overweight and focusing on burning fat or would you like to build more muscle? Establishing a goal is mandatory for developing a plan. Depending on what you are trying to do, map out a plan to exercise. For example, schedule 2 miles walks 3 times per week and weight training 2 times per week. Create a shopping list of healthy foods and pre-prepare your meals so that you know just how much you’re eating. These are just a few things to consider. But no matter what your goal, a well thought out plan will greatly increase your chances of succeeding.
- A Workout Partner – While it isn’t mandatory, a fitness friend is helpful to have to keep you accountable. Having someone encourage you through your workouts will also keep you motivated to finish your sets!
- A Good Playlist – Music is motivating and the right playlist can make a huge difference in how you perform at the gym. Develop a list of songs that get you hype to exercise and make sure you have them with you during your workouts.
- A Good Mobile App – Tracking your progress is important. Although most people are obsessed with what they see on the scale, there are also “non scale victories” that you should track. For example, did you lost inches? Are you able to lift heavier than you did last week? If you don’t have a good memory, mobile apps like “myfitnesspal” and “FitBit” are great resources to track your progress
- Your “Reason” – The foundation for your success is rooted in your “why.” Why are you trying to get in shape? Did your doctor advise you to make changes for your health? Do you want to be more active as you get older? Are you trying to overcome depression or a bad breakup? Whenever you feel like quitting, remember your way to fuel yourself to finish.